The Big One

Hey Ashlee,

From now on this note I am writing to you will forever be known as "that email."

I have a text message from you saved on my cell phone. It says, "Dad, I know you hear God. What is He telling you I should do? Not what you think, but God." You sent that message on 9-02-05. At that time I think you were seeking direction about extending your mission to Mexico. Let me tell you how God speaks to me. He whispers. If I'm not expectantly paying attention I may miss something from Him. A great prophet of God heard God's whispers. Do you know who it was? Do you know his story? When I'm not paying attention it usually means I'm trying to manage on my own.

Here's a story for you. There once was a little boy joyfully playing in a mud puddle. He was having the time of his life. I guess you'd have to be a little boy to understand the fun that mud puddles are. As the little boy was playing in his puddle his parents asked him if he wanted to go to the beach. The little guy had never been to the beach so he wasn't sure if he wanted to go or not. It was his decision based on the limitations of his age and experience to remain in his mud puddle. He knew the puddle was fun. He had no idea about the beach. Guess what happened. Mom and dad had to take a very unhappy little boy to the beach and away from his mud puddle. Once the family arrived at the ocean, how long do you suppose it took the little guy to forget about his mud puddle?

I was pleased that you were accepted into Moody. Apparently, you are not. I understand you have other plans that you firmly believe are Spirit led.

Here's something cool about God. He has the power to impose His will on us but He doesn't. What does He do? He invites us to conform. He assures us of His love for us and asks us to trust Him. He calls us from what we know to the adventure of what He has prepared for us. Do I trust Him enough to obey? Do you? Here's something profoundly true. Make sure you get this. Are you ready? Ultimately, God will have His will done. Nothing stops Him. Nobody thwarts His will. THAT ROCKS!

I've sought wisdom. I've asked God to help me decide what you ought to do. Why should I have to ask God what you should do? Because Ashlee, at this point in your life the decision for what you ought to do is mine, not yours. It's hard stuff I know. Do you feel the rebel in you trying to take control? What are you going to do with that? I love you, Ashlee.

I know your mom has tried to reason with you about attending Moody. As I listened to your mom relate your text and instant message discussions, I believe God gave me this thought. "Be the parent Caleb."

Ashlee, you will not go to Africa as you have planned. You will begin attending MBI this January. Take the next several days before you come home to adapt yourself to this idea. Can I really force you to go to Moody? I know I can't. Nevertheless, I invite you to submitt to my authority and honor me by your trust and obedience.


D

Comments

Popular Posts