The Wedding that Wasn't

Hey Ashlee,

I know you have been very busy lately so write to me when you have time. You asked me for juicy emails so I am trying to honor your request. I saw on the sign-on screen that you have 93 emails today. I hope you enjoy mine to you.

Previously, I wrote to you about Jesus the hitchhiker. I sent a different one to Mike. I sent that one to you as well. I want you to know me (the true me) as someone other than the person you lived with for so long. I want you to know my heart because it belongs to Jesus. My heart is yours as well.

Two or three weeks ago there was an announcement in the church bulletin. It said that Sarah Bass was getting married on Aug. 20th.
Later that day at mini-church Rodney and Susan told our group that they were opposed to the marriage. There were several reasons. They struggled so much with the prospect of seeing one of their children making such a mistake. At least to them it was a mistake. Imagine their situation. They had to plan, implement plans, and finance a wedding they did not believe in. Ashlee, why would they do that? After some weeks of emotional turmoil and struggle Rodney and Susan truly realized that their child was going to marry someone who was not right for her. The morning of the wedding they prayed and left their daughter and her future with Jesus. When they were done praying Rodney claimed that God had calmed his and Susan's heart about the matter. What did they do? THEY LET JESUS DRIVE! Is He a safe driver? Read on and see what you think. After praying they got dressed. Susan probably double checked the catering arrangements for the reception. Later they had a long ride from home to a church somewhere on Signal Mtn. What were they thinking on the drive? What did they talk about? At the church there were more details to see to. Finally, all the guests had arrived and the church was full of music. The groom and his groomsmen were in their places in front of the sanctuary. Let me ask you Ashlee. How is Jesus driving? Is he going too fast? Is he too close to the edge of a road that has no guard rails? Where was I? Oh yeah, I left the groom and his entourage at the front of the church. Come to think of it, that is exactly what Sarah did. I'm not kidding! At the last moment she made the courageous decision to flee. The only person to come down the aisle that day was Rodney. He had the grim task of explaining to the gathered guests that there was to be no wedding that day. That must have been tough on him, the proverbial "icing on the cake." Then I think it would have been harder for Sarah's parents to watch her ride away in her honeymoon car.

What do you think of the Lord's driving Ashlee? Did he drive fast! YES!! Was it safe? NO!! (it didn't seem safe from my point of view)
Did Jesus lose control of the car? NO!! His driving may not seem safe based on our understanding of safe but he is and was always in control. He is a good driver and we can trust him with our lives. WOW!! What a ride that must have been for Rodney and Susan. Maybe later when the heat blows over I'll ask him about it.

In the realm of parenting young adult children I have two new heroes: Rodney and Susan. For uncommon courage I bow to Sarah Bass.

Sincerely,

D

Comments

Popular Posts