From the Road

If you are reading this, it's because my thoughts are never far away from you. You are the tools our Father has used in my heart as we travel the warrior's road. You are my circle, my band, and I love you greatly. I thank God for your victories, struggles, and failures. God uses these things to invite us into deeper intimacy with Him.

"Come and learn of me, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light," Jesus said. These are the words that draw me to Him. He didn't say there was no yoke or burden. He said they were light and easy. Yes, but compared to what are they light and easy? The answer is; compared with making it on my own. I will not survive the journey without Him. The Jesus in you helps to make my burden lighter and easier. I'm not made to travel in solitude. I learn of Jesus from His words as the Spirit reveals them to my heart. I also learn of Him as I interact with you. I see Him in you. Jesus is revealed to me through the tool of you . He lives in you. Your community is vital to me.

Some time ago Mike asked me to do an exercise. He mentioned it in his message recently. In case you weren't there, this was the exercise. As I was traveling home from our meeting I was to audibly say words something like this: I am a man of God. I have wisdom, insight, and strength. God can, does, and will use me in the lives of others. When I first said these words out loud to myself they were uncomfortable. They were itchy, like an old wool blanket. They didn't seem to fit. It was as though I was a child trying on the clothes of a man. They were too big for me. After I spoke these words to myself words from the darkness became clear in my mind. I was reminded of my less than honorable deeds, my betrayals, my harsh and ugly words, and my failures. So many times I let these messages keep me in weighted chains. No, I was not the man my friend saw in me.

Then there was the whisper, the psst that cuts through the clutter of a noisy mind. The whisperer said to me, "You are not defined by your performance from the past, present or future whether your deeds are evil or good. You are defined by the relationship you have with me. I have adopted you into my family. You and Jesus are two of my sons. Your sin is paid for and you are mine. Now, what do you believe?" I don't have the words to describe what happens in a heart when the truth is revealed and accepted. I can only say that it is often accompanied by tears of cleansing and joy. I chose and choose to believe the truth. I am who God says I am. I am one of His sheep. I am one of His sons. I am one of those who is His bride. The weighted chains of deception are heavy. The freedom of truth is truly light and easy.

Who is this God that does these great works in us? I am so desperate for His whispers. Thank you, for being my friends. I can't imagine the journey without you.

Caleb


Popular Posts