Miguel's Sister


Hey You,

Do you know how much a broken dryer cramps my style? I had to take Satan's house cat (Sal) to the vet. I had to remove the carcass of the neighbor's cat from our backyard. I wonder if they noticed her absence yet? Our dogs are killers. Nick wouldn't help me, but he gleefully took pictures of the body as it sailed thru the air back into the neighbor's yard. Don't worry I didn't really do that. That would only confirm their suspicions that we're cultists and that we sacrifice farm animals to idols. After the dead cat episode, I found most of a rabbit. It may have been a squirrel. I'm not sure. Sorry no pictures were made.

Mr. Jim helped me fix the dryer. I really like him. Did you know that he's published a novel? He owned a company that made widgets for airplanes. He was a missionary in the Amazon! Now he fixes airplanes. In his spare time he's building a time machine in his garage. He's going to sell it on e-bay. He's really an interesting person.

I was at the end of my rope. I handled all the glamorous "dad" stuff I was going to. I was ready to go to bed and delete from my memory all the details and bad words. There are days when you just can't take one more thing. This is when your mom gave me the news that my life is going to change sooner than I expected.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Ashley called today," she said.
"What's up with Ashley?" I asked.
"She called to tell us that Miguel is ours."
"That's really good news," I said and went to bed.

When I got in the bed my heart got the news that Miguel is my son. I wept. I guess I had more of my heart in this than I realized. If things go right I'll see you in Guatemala in a couple of weeks to sign the power of attorney. I want to see you in your world. I want to visit with Heather. I wonder if she's found her heart yet. I think of her every day right after I think of you. I say your names out loud as I drive to work in the very small hours of the morning.

Do I have to visit with the orphans? I don't know if I can do it and maintain my composure.

If you go back a few notes you'll find the picture of you and Miguel. I think I'm going to move it up here.

I am so proud of you. You are one of my heart's great loves.

D

Comments

suz said…
I'M GREATFUL TO BE AN AUNT, AGAIN. DID YOU KNOW I AM A GRANDMOTHER AS WELL? MAX AND MASON SMITH. KEEP THEM IN YOUR PRAYERS MY STEP SON TRAVIS IS BEING DEPORTED AS WE SPEAK TO KUWAIT. IN HIS GRIP SUZ.
MK said…
Congratulations! How exciting for you and your family. He looks like a happy and healthy child. I can only imagine the emotions you must feel. Hopefully, someday, when we're ready, you can offer us advice through this process.

Popular Posts