Is Sanity Overrated?

Ana


I got a call today from your mom. She spoke to me of Ana. Heather talked to your mom about some of her background. I'm so glad she has been living with Heather. Your mom told me that Heather has decided not to adopt Anna because she recognizes that Anna needs something else. She needs both parents. She emphasized the importance of a good dad. It was at this point that I began to see the point of the call from your mom. She was actually considering the idea of bringing her home too.

"You're a crazy woman." I told her. I asked her if she meant dropping Miguel and switching to the beautiful Ana. I'm not doing that. This whole endeavor has not been about an unseen person like it was with Nicoleta and Luc. From day one we had a picture of Miguel. He is what this has been about. She told me not too choose, get both of them. I had to pull the car over. I had to explain to your mom the economics of the situation. We don't have another 30K sitting in reserve. Come to think of it we didn't have the money when we decided to get Miguel. Heather apparently told your mom not to worry about the money. I asked your mom if we were getting a buy one get one free deal. Your mom's bottom line was finding out if I was open to the idea if the money was not a concern. I told her I was "open" to the idea. If this child is so adorable it seems like they would have no trouble placing her. This is the part of the story that really got me. Your mom told me that Heather wants me to be that child's dad. She wants your mom and I to be her parents.

"You and Heather are both crazy women!" I couldn't talk anymore. I hung up and continued home. As I drove I knew. I knew from the moment I understood what your mom was talking about on the phone. I knew I would do this thing. Ashley, I love you. I love this life that I have. The joy and adventure of it never cease to thrill and amaze me.

When we come to Guatemala we'll meet and spend time with Ana. Who knows, she may not like us. I wonder if that would disappoint or relieve me. Who is God that He should smile on us and show us His heart?

There's much that has to be accomplished. Primarily, since Ana is not a baby, she'll have to like your mom and I before we decide to move forward after our visit.

See ya soon,

D

Comments

MK said…
How lucky are you and your children that your hearts are so open. I envy your courage. BTW, I firmly believe sanity is completely overrated. It seems so obvious to me that, I almost laugh when I think about it.

Popular Posts