Secondary vs. Primary

Sometimes when I address a group I think I see a negative response. When those I'm talking to don't make eye contact with me and stare into their laps I think things are not going well. When no one steps up to take part in discussion makes me think I hit a wall. Most telling of all is when some shake their heads as I speak.

My topic which I thought would arouse good discussion was the same as the subject line of this note. I found out today that many people put a higher priority on making life work than I thought. Since the norm of my group is for the leader to facilitate discussion and I wasn't getting it, I had to ask individuals questions. I went for the head shakers. I got responses like this: "What's wrong with making life work better?" or "Because I read a book or participated in a seminar my life works better, what's wrong with that?" I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sometimes it seems like people use what they have learned to correct their behavior without any real change in who they are.

I began the discussion by talking about the common cold as an illustration of my point. We don't treat the cold, we treat the symptoms. By treating the symptoms we achieve temporary relief from the fever, sore throat, congestion, or whatever. In most cases we have to re-medicate so we can continue to function. In my opinion my illustration was brilliant. My audience was not quite so generous. When we recognize that we are sick with a cold we have to treat the symptoms because there is no cure for the virus itself.

I went on to say that in many cases people buy books or attend seminars to treat symptoms when the cure for what ails them is available. (I think it is interesting to note that although a cure is available, it is beyond our control to acquire it.) There are many good publications and conferences on such things as marriage, child rearing, finances, and self perception. Do I buy the book or attend the conference on applying biblical principles to . . . whatever because I want to learn how to honor God in that area? Or do I wish to obtain tips, techniques, tools, and exercises to make my life work better. The fact that I'm not disciplined with money, continuously argue/angry with my wife or children, or have a less than healthy view of my worth is often, if not always, a symptom of a deeper issue. I don't treat the deeper issue, I mask it by getting temporary relief from the symptoms. (Somewhere along here things went off the hook.) But I continued (since no one else would) by summing up my view of the "deeper issue." By treating the symptoms of the deeper issue I insulate myself from what God wants. I don't think God is primarily interested in my problems with money, anger, my relationships with others, or my view of myself. These are secondary issues. I believe God wants a dead-end rock-bottom encounter with me when I recognize that He is my primary need and not biblical principles applied to an area of trouble in my life. Application of God's wisdom gleaned from the Bible is not synonymous with a relationship with Him.

I really do want what God wants but I'm afraid. I'm sometimes afraid that He may not be who He says He is. I'm sometimes afraid the gospel may not be true. So what do I do? I treat symptoms. It's ironic that I'm willing to trust God with my eternal destiny but I have difficulty trusting Him with this momentary vapor that we call life.

Maybe my tenure will be revoked.

Caleb

Comments

MK said…
This post seems to have summed up a lot of what goes on in education too. I'm not sure what that means with regards to relationships with G-d, but at least I think I can relate to the inability to get the message across and to stop people from going for the easy solution.
I get it, Caleb.

Popular Posts