I Remember Mexico

I often wonder about you guys and where the journey has taken you. I was reading Ashley's Xanga when I spotted your names on her site. I saw your names and remembered God's faithfulness to you and Ashley. It's important to remember what is past.

As followers of Jesus, his plan for us is to become more and more like him. He teaches us, he guides us, and his spirit fills us bringing his plan for us to pass. I believe that becoming the image of Jesus is the most important thing. I remind Ashley that being a missionary is not God's primary goal for her. I tell her that missions is his tool for drawing her ever closer to himself. Our obedience to his call is not for his benefit. He can accomplish his plan for others without us. Our obedience to his call is for our benefit. We need him, not the other way around. I say these things because sometimes ministry is so draining. When God is visibly moving we are energized but when he seems absent it's easy to become discouraged and to question his call on our lives. Why is that? Do we feel responsible for results? I think sometimes we do. The good news is we are not responsible to do what only God is capable of doing. He uses us because it pleases him to do so not because we are necessary. I find so much relief in just being his child. I'm his child not his partner. Think of a clumsy young son who just wants to help his daddy. That's me. Since I have kids of my own, I recognize that I probably get in the way more than I contribute to the divine agenda.

So as you chase after God remember what is true. He wants your heart not your good works. Besides if your works are truly good then it is Jesus living his life through you. If that's true then who wouldn't follow him anywhere?

Caleb, aka Ashley's dad

Comments

Popular Posts