Concerning Your Brother

Not too long ago your mom told me that your brother called and wanted to stay longer. No one had to tell me why he wanted that. I immediately thought that he must have met a girl. It was just intuitive. I had nothing to base my conclusion on. I know a little about young men and with that knowledge I arrived at a conclusion. It's funny because we told others that your brother was staying longer. Just about all of them said, "He met a girl, didn't he?" Even if I had known that what I thought was true, I would not have prevented him from staying. Your brother will come home as planned. He will in all likelihood return with a broken heart. He will own the consequences of his choices. I expect him to ask me or your mom for another extension to his visit. I will say no as you will. There's no point in delaying what must be. I further expect him to mask his pain with anger when he returns. Oh well, been there done that. I guess I can keep on doing it.



I'm interested and hopeful to see what your brother does with his brokenness. Will he surrender or will the battle for his heart continue? Will the good shepherd find him in the darkness? I love your brother but he can't hear me. Does he listen to you? Have you pointed out the eventual outcome of the circumstances he has helped to create? Is it too late?

Comments

MK said…
Here's hoping we can be as good at parenting as you and your wife. I think you nailed it right on the head - parents have profound influence, and no control. So frustrating. Especially for the Type A's like me. I think teaching has helped me to learn that I have to show them the paths and their consequences, but I can't hold their hand or drag them down a path.

I know of the broken heart Nick will suffer. I suffered it too. And I was angry at everyone. And desperate to keep what I had...but you usually can't. I'm jealous of my sister - she met her husband on vacation. Almost 6 years after they met, I was the Matron of Honor at their wedding. In 2 months, they'll have been married a year. Tomorrow, will mark the end of the first week they have lived together or just on the same continent - ever. I hope their fairy tale continues to work.

Popular Posts