Guatemala Closes

Dear Friends,

I'm writing to you as a man whose life was changed because of the way God used the ministry of All God's Children in my life. I have two children from Romania and two others who will soon be home from Hannah's Hope in Guatemala City. When my wife and I first began to consider international adoption we already had two children, a boy and a girl. We thought we were set, we had made our plans, all of our ducks were in a row, but God had a different agenda for us. He was about to begin a work in us that has yet to be completed. We are at His feet. We have surrendered our illusions of control and self-sufficiency. We wait only for Him. We are sure that His will is settled and that His agenda for us will come to pass just as He has planned it. He has taught us to wait. It is in the waiting that I hear Him most clearly.

If you've lived through the adoption process, you know what I'm talking about. We've walked the same road, shared the same heartaches and have learned many of the same lessons. We've learned how to miss people we've never met. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't walked this road what happens in our heart's as we wait. Do you remember the first time you saw your adopted child in a photograph or a video? How easily they captured our heart's! The first pictures were always defining moments for me. The abstract concept of some child became this child, my child. Do you remember what that felt like?

Perhaps the most profound lesson God wanted to teach me through four adoptions was really very simple. God did not invite me to travel to far away places to rescue poor and unfortunate orphans and give them a life that can only be found in the United States. He did not invite me to assist Him in the accomplishment of His plans as though He needs my help. I wasn't asked to sacrifice thousands of dollars to do this great work for God so that He would owe me some measure of gratitude. God's agenda for me was to simply allow Him to do a great work in me. The adoption of four priceless children was just the by-product of His primary goal: changing me. He used All God's Children and the adoption process as tools and vessels to accomplish his plan for me.

As parents of adopted children, you and I are living on the receiving end of the ministry of All God's Children in North America. Our lives have been blessed and enriched because of the obedience and vision of a few. Facilitating adoptions is only part of the mission of All God's Children International. They are also a relief agency for orphaned and abandoned children in the countries where they work.

As you may have heard, until the end of the year no further adoption cases are being considered in Guatemala. At this time it is questionable as to whether cases in process will be completed. Although these present circumstances are not going to be permanent, they do present All God's Children with immediate and dire need.

Without the revenue generated by adoptions it is impossible to maintain a presence for relief in Guatemala City. Under normal conditions part of the expense of an adoption is a relief fee. That coupled with charitable contributions from people like us allow the work to go forward for those children who are not adoptable but still need care in a safe environment.

Please remember that finding homes for orphaned and abandoned children is only part of the work of All God's Children International. They are a channel of blessing and relief to children in desperate circumstances who will never be adopted. As the cessation of adoption continues, will you help All God's Children keep their doors of orphan care and relief open at Hannah's Hope in Guatemala City? Since I'm asking you to send money to All God's Children, let me add that I am not employed by AGCI or have any financial interest in their work. I'm a person whose life was touched and forever changed just as yours was. I believe in the work in Guatemala. From time to time I'm invited to demonstrate what I believe in.

Caleb

Comments

Popular Posts