God's Call for an Ordinary Man

Hey You,

I didn't know you were going to a Christian University. What's it called? I'll answer your lame and boring questions only because I love you so much. I would have thought that by this time the Christian University culture would have figured out that they are asking the wrong questions. Since I'm the one doing you a favor you must indulge my intellectual superiority complex. I don't mean to be cryptic but I'll explain myself in due time.

Age: 47
Education: B.S. Secondary Education
Work History: (deleted)
Current Job: (deleted)

My normal day begins at . . .(deleted)

Why do I work? Money. Money is a tool I use to get other stuff. If there were another way to get money that was legitimate and didn't require time and energy I would do it. Although there is a feeling of satisfaction that comes from success and a job well done, I have never found the "feeling" worth the sacrifice. It's like buying popcorn at the movies. Movie theater popcorn is always good but is it really worth $5.00?

To answer your questions pertaining to calling and vocation I have to know what those terms mean to you. Many people see a "calling" as something they are divinely instructed and equipped to do. The "calling" seems to be what God wants them to do on a vocational level. Within the confines of their calling they also find their purpose. I'm not suggesting that what people believe about callings, vocations, and purpose is not true. God may be calling each of us to our own vocation that all somehow conforms to his divine plan, his divine purpose. My personal opinion is that those things are not as important as some would have me believe.

It seems that many people are asking God in a spirit of obedience and submission what he wants them to do on a vocational level. They want to honor and please God with their life's work. It appears that they are on the right track doesn't it? I think many of those same people secretly and blindly believe that they must perform well and merit God's favor. God's acceptance of them is based on their choosing the correct vocation and performing well. My personal opinion is that God may have purpose for me but I'm not a necessary component to the achievement of his agenda. I am not needed or necessary but I am wanted. If a good father is performing a complicated automotive repair in his garage, how important is it that his small child be there to assist him? The man may ask his child to hand him a tool or to hold this or that part or implement. I think one can see that the task of repairing the car doesn't require the participation of the small child. In fact, the child's presence may actually impede the process. So what is the child's purpose or role in the mentioned scenario? Can it be that the good father is simply pleased by having his child with him? Doesn't it further please the father that his child wants to be with him and to help him? I've learned that being desired is better than being needed. Being needed is a heavy yoke to carry. Being wanted and desired is light and easy, it only requires my submission. To believe such a thing means one has to acknowledge that they are acceptable to God as-is, without credentials or accomplishments. It's not complicated to perceive. Believing is the hard part.

I believe God is calling us to something. It has nothing to do with how we earn our living. I don't believe God is primarily communicating instructions concerning his vocational plans for us. I think God's call tells us who he is not what he wants from us. I think God's call also tells us who we are. When a person sees the smallest shadow of who God is and who they are from the divine perspective, the business of vocation becomes trivial. I rarely think or wonder about it.

God has given me roles. Maybe my "roles" is where my "calling" lies. I am one woman's husband. I am the father of six children. I am a brother to three and a friend to a few. I don't consider being an employee a "role" in the same sense. My opinion is that the roles God gives me are those where I am irreplaceable. Husband, father, brother, and friend are my roles. Why has God given me these roles? How much depends on me? Am I a good husband? Am I a good father, brother, and friend? I try to be. To say that God depends on me to perform well in my roles contradicts my view of who God is. He doesn't need me, he wants me. He loves me. I've reached the conclusion that my roles are tools in God's hands. I am a husband, father, brother, and friend not so much that I can be used to change and positively influence others. That's only the minor part. God uses my roles primarily to change me. He uses my roles to show me more of who he is and to draw me into deeper intimacy with him. Have you ever been awestruck?

I'm sorry did you ask me about my job? My view of the world doesn't place much value on where I work.

Although I don't place as high a value on being an employee as I do on other roles doesn't mean I don't conduct myself with integrity and diligence. I hope my employer would not be insulted if I don't find my identity or passion in my job.

If you don't mind I'm going to post this note on my blog. I'll edit some stuff out. My adoring public misses me and I've not posted in a while.

Caleb

Comments

Popular Posts