Holiday Update

The news media has declared that we are in a national economic recession. The holiday season of 2008 has been forecast to be bleak because of the financial crunch. Keri and I have never had much money so we don't plan on participating. I'm sure that a sound economy is an important part of our national interest. However, I'm not so sure it's that relevant to things that really matter. While the United States laments another quarter of negative growth, our family in Tennessee has experienced exponential increases in 2008. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been channeled through us to accomplish the work that was given to us. Since 1998 we have been bringing home and raising the children that God has carefully selected for us. Now that the work has been completed (I hope so) we still don't have very much money. Money becomes less and less relevant as our hearts receive the news that we already have everything. We are all the adopted sons and daughters of the King!

The year 2008 has truly been a remarkable time for us. Ana arrived early in the year and Miguel followed in the Spring. However, 2007 was a year of great testing for us. We waited, we watched, and we wept as we struggled through the process of bringing home Ana and Miguel. This past year we have had the profound joy of getting to know these two remarkable people. Ana is 12 and she arrived with a lot of baggage from her past. Keri finds ways through the barriers of her heart to help her "unpack" the lies and introduce her to the truth of who she really is. Miguel on the other hand is 6 and was the prince of Hannah's Hope in Guatemala City. He is a force to be reckoned with. He is an outgoing and happy child. Everyone he meets is his friend even those he sees on the television. (There's an inside story here that really isn't suitable for a holiday family update.)

Ashley is 21 living and ministering in the ghetto of Guatemala City. She has abandoned the emptiness of North American culture and has chosen instead to recklessly follow after Christ in the dirtiest and darkest of places. She is still working with All God's Children at Hannah's Hope but her passion is reaching the poor and abandoned people of Guatemala with the good news. Her life fills her mom and I with wonder. Admittedly, there's also some fear. God has blessed her mom and I with some extra grace. He has not removed the fear but He is showing us how to master it.

Nick is 17 and a senior in high school. He is contemplating and planning for life after high school. He's in the process of practicing for his ACT exam so that he can qualify for the Hope Scholarship (funded by the TN lottery). I think he may begin college at UT Chattanooga and live on campus. He is hard-working and artistically gifted. He is so much wiser and more intelligent than his parents. It has been so challenging to provide for him all to which he is so clearly entitled. Ashley will surely rebuke me but sarcasm gives me so much pleasure!

Nicoleta is 14 and a high school freshman. She has a birthday in January and I'm looking forward to introducing her to the thrills and chills of driving (oops more sarcasm). Nicoleta is a gifted athlete and cheerleader. This past weekend Keri and I attended a cheer competition in Macon, GA with her. The things I saw her and the squad do defied the laws of gravity and human physiology. Whatever happened to "Firecracker, firecracker, boom, boom, boom?" I think I should get out more.

Luc is 12 and started middle school this year. He enjoys Dr. Pepper and hanging out with his buddies in the neighborhood. He is performing far below his potential in school but he is beginning to take more personal responsibility for his school work. He has refused to wear his rubber bands so he still has braces. He must really enjoy them! This summer he is looking forward to visiting his biological brother in Indiana.

As I mentioned Ana is also 12. Luc and Ana are in the same homeroom and share many of the same classes. This has proven very convenient for Keri and I. Luc's memory for homework assignments has improved immensely thanks to his new sister. He is so thankful for her support (I can't help myself.)

There is a promising new student beginning his educational career at Apison Elementary School. His name is Miguel Antonio and he is 6 years old. He has appointed himself the kindergarten school rules enforcer. Running in the halls is never tolerated. Hitting, biting, kicking and scratching are also strictly forbidden in his presence. Throwing rocks over the playgrounds' fence is an acceptable practice so long as all stones strike the windshields of the faculty's vehicles. Did you know the department of education in our county provides insurance for such events? Thank goodness!

Keri and I are having the time of our lives raising our family. What an adventure God has provided for us. I still work at (deleted) and Keri is still working as a dental hygienist with the same doctor. Since I go to work at the obscene hour of 3am, Keri gets everyone up and off to school. I'm usually home by noon so I'm home when everyone comes home from school. I can cook, wash clothes, make lunches, vacuum floors, etc. I read recently that I am a victim of a phenomenon called "gender convergence." Our roles as mom and dad may not look the same as our parents' roles once did but I don't feel like a victim.

We hope that all our well and content as we celebrate the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. Keri and I hope to be able to see our western relations at the next big reunion in 2010. To all related personnel on my side of the Mississippi River I am happy to report that next Thanksgiving I will be on vacation. I promise to be a much more fun guy next year so please come back. Thanks for your patience with me. I love you guys.

Caleb

Comments

Popular Posts