Practical Christianity (a do over)

My Friends,

I've expanded my circle of contacts somewhat.

In some ways I regret the way I left my previous message regarding Practical Christianity. If you are reading this note and have no idea what I am talking about then that is because you didn't receive or read my first message. I have posted the email on a blog. Please follow the link and read it so that you are in the loop.

I think if I can conclude anything about following the example of Jesus, it is this: His ways are not practical according to my understanding of what practical means. To me the expression "practical Christianity" implies that within the topic one can learn how to manage the circumstances of life and perhaps harmonize them with the teachings of Christ. The end result of such would produce as smooth a journey as can be had. Don't misunderstand. I'm not looking for an easy, comfortable, or painless way to live. I'm seeking the right way. I'm looking for the narrow way that few will find. I have a way of thinking that naturally understands and concludes that if I'm doing something correctly the process of doing it will be smooth, painless, and with minimal difficulty. I have a lifetime of experience that proves my natural understanding of things. I realize that my natural understanding tends to lead me away from the truth regardless of what my experience has taught me.

A famous someone once said that embarking on the journey of Christianity is free to whoever will go. Remaining on the journey however, will cost the traveler everything. Romans 12 tells us to present ourselves as a living sacrifice to God. The Message says to take our everyday, ordinary lives----our sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around lives----and place them before God as an offering. I think this is where practical Christianity is really defined. Presenting ourselves to God seems to be the first step. I think I understand what this means. Doesn't it mean surrender to his will as I abandon mine? My problem is I never completely surrender or offer myself. As I travel this road I'm regularly presented with opportunities to surrender more. Here is where it gets thorny because of the "O" word. I have difficulty shaking the negative vibe that the concept of obedience presents me with. I think of rules that must be obeyed. I think of chores that I have no energy to complete that must be done. I think of commands we give a dog like sit, stay, or rollover. When the command is obeyed the compliant pet is rewarded with a "Scooby snack." The rules we are asked to obey (by our traditional Christian culture) seem to me to have as much value as the silly tricks we teach our dogs to perform. Of course I'm speaking for myself and I admit that I have very little understanding of what real obedience looks like. I am learning to view obedience as a positive response to opportunities God places in my path. God is showing me that he doesn't demand my obedience like a drill sergeant barking out orders. His commands are almost always whispered to my heart. His commands feel more like invitations than orders. If you are reading along and thinking then you must wonder what sorts of things does God ask me to do. I think that just about everything I was ever invited to do involved another human being. Maybe every command can be summed up like this: "Will you let me love that person through you?" It may be as simple as saying "good morning" or taking a moment to help another lift a cumbersome piece of freight. It may be as challenging as rescuing a small child from behind what was once the Iron Curtain or some other third world country and then giving that child your name. I could introduce the "R" word but I won't. I'm already taking up too much of your time. Suffice it to say that somewhere between saying "good morning" to a stranger and adopting another person into your family requires the building of relationships.

So what about practical Christianity? Is my Christianity a belief system that I use to manage and cope until God calls me to the "sweet by and by?" I hate managing and coping because while in the process of that I don't get to live. Do I see it as a formula or strategy I use to get what I want from God and others? What do you think? Maybe I should stop asking how Christianity is practical to me and start asking God how practical I am to him. EUREKA!! That's it, isn't it? Practical Christianity is Jesus revealing his love to others through me. As I throw off my own interests and agenda do I make myself more available to serve his interests and agenda?

What about my present difficulties I once thought my Christianity would ease or free me from? They come and they go. Sometimes I'm pleased and sometimes I'm not by the way these temporal matters sort out. I suspect that maybe they don't matter as much as I think they do. As my perspective is adjusted they become less and less relevant.

Some personal notes:

Deb & Bill: Would you send this to Greg and Joyce? I'm hopefully expectant as we begin our new journey.

My usual Sun. morning group: I tried to include as many of you guys as I could. Some showed an interest in being included. If I left someone off feel free to send this to them. I love you guys. I value your insight. Let me know what you're thinking as it pertains these matters.

Ashley: Be careful and I can't wait to see you in Tampa. You are God's picture to me of what practical Christianity looks like.

Heather: Keri and I owe you more than we can ever repay. Miguel is making me crazy and Ana is healing.

Greg B: My kids love you so for now that's enough. I look forward to knowing the man beneath the surface.

Stuart: I found some of what you told me to find and some I did not. In the process I found something unexpected.

Mike: I invite you to meet with me in the desert where we can speak of these great mysteries as only two like minded mystics can do.

Caleb

Comments

MK said…
Caleb, I'm venturing back into the bloggersphere. I see you haven't been here in a while either. Miss your thoughts, so if you feel the urge, stop by.

MK (Musings on the Brink)

Popular Posts